The About Me tab on the left contains an interactive PowerPoint
sharing more about
my perspectives in education with care.

Click on images - to go to page-links that share about
                                  the items in t
he picture.

Personally:

My family includes my husband, two children,
                    two dogs and two cats.
                   My family is used to re-defining normal. Our DNA includes
    Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Disorders, Tourette’s syndrome, Celiac, hearing loss,
               and experiences with physical impairment.
                                        I love to travel, sew costumes, remodel and organize, and
                    believe that no outfit is complete without cat hair.

Professionally:

Leadership Statement – Susie Schainost

The core value of my leadership style is collaboration and coordination; creating an organized environment that propels excellence within a warm, can-do atmosphere.

My approach is to build an element of predictability by being as open as possible, consistent, and fair in decisions. I want team members to experience the freedom to be entrepreneurial and make mission-focused decisions. I prefer to work around a table because it is easier to see when someone is excited or frustrated. Tables give an opportunity for people to join the dialogue, ask questions, and brainstorm. To me, human judgment, inspiration and creativity are irreplaceable in determining direction.

I learn every day. Leading requires human insight and adaptability. I like to slow down, listen, get to know people and learn perspectives. Asking questions such as, “Why did you come to school/work this morning?” “What makes you passionate about what you do?” When talking through challenges, I ask, “So what do you think you should do?” “Who and what skills are needed?” How may I help?”

Decision making is not perfect. Data related to people must be treated with respect. A 360’ feedback assessment grows with the individual, includes real-world interactions, and asks questions to comprise a sense of what the employee considers to be difficult. Assessment areas include considerations such as: gives clear goals, shares information, and treats the entire team respectfully. These are qualitative areas that make people feel happy and want to go the extra mile.

Jean Garvey would say, “You can do more than you think you can.”
I believe in the power of people, a 24/7 work ethic, warm beverages, expressing gratitude, trusting that anything is possible, and that your given word is binding. If people love what they are doing and feel loved, then they spread it to everyone around them, inside and outside the organization.

These two pictures represent the power of people.

Below: 200 students performing at Carnegie Hall as part of the American Cowboy tour. I am the center conductor - standing behind the upright bass.

Picture is of parents and grandparents along
         with students in Beijing, China. The students
         performed in San Francisco and throughout
         China with the American Cowboy Tour II.