Analyzing a Population

1. On the following line identify the population you have chosen:

The population I’ve chosen is New York City residents who recycle.

2. Now answer the following questions with respect to the structure of the population:

A. Is the population a relatively homogenous group of individuals or other units? NO

B. Could the population be considered to consist generally of equal “layers,” each of which is fairly homogenous in structure?

NO

C. Could the population be considered to be composed of separate homogenous layers differing in size and number of units comprising them?  

YES

D. Could the population be envisioned as isolated islands or clusters of individual units, with clusters being similar to one another in composition?

YES

3. Through what means would you extract a representative sample from the total population? Describe your procedure on the following lines:

I would choose stratified random sampling through use of the telephone. I would have a list of homeowners/renters and randomly call individuals to answer a questionnaire.

4. Refer to Table 9.3 Is your sample procedure appropriate for the characteristics of the population?

YES

5. Have your guaranteed that your sample will be chosen by chance and yet will be representative of your population?

YES

6. If the preceding answer is yes, explain how this has been done.

Through extensive research I will choose areas in each NYC borough and concentrate in areas of both high, medium, and low economic earnings.

7. Indicated what means will be employed to obtain the information you need from the sample:

A telephone and basic questionnaire would be employed.

8. What are the weaknesses inherent in this method of obtaining data?  

The biggest problem would be people who aren’t listed in the telephone directory because they wouldn’t be considered into the population at all. Also, if people don’t answer their phone their opinions wouldn’t be factored in.

'

9. What safeguards have you established to counteract any potential bias in your approach to data collection?

I would carefully construct my questionnaire with predetermined answers to choose from and scrutinize over any questions whose answer that may be influenced by one’s interest in the topic.

Back to CC 401 Course