Photo Credit (www.gaiaonline.com) 

To stimulate wildly weak and untrained minds is to play with mighty fires.- W.E.B. DuBois

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to my e-Portfolio. This is page is a culmination of all the coursework that I have completed during my time as a student  in the Masters of Arts in  Disability Studies at the CUNY School of Professional Studies. I began my studies at CUNY SPS pursuing my Graduate Certificate in Youth Studies. The Youth Studies program had exposed me to working with youth in groups, adolescent sexual health, adolescent psychology and working with youth to create participatory action research projects. The program not only enhanced my knowledge of working with Youth, children, the field of Youth Studies but exposed me to an untapped field within youth development. From there I decided to take a course with the Disability Studies Program. I wanted to gain a better understanding of disability history and the untold stories of persons with disabilities. In addition, I hoped to gain an understanding of how local and federal policies affect persons with disabilities and their access to education, funding, support and healthcare. 

My time within the program has given me a wealth of knowledge and an expanded network of peers in the field. One of my long term career goal is to obtain employment within a Disability Services Office at a college or university. Being a student with in the MA in Disability Studies Program has helped me to position myself so I am knowledgeable enough to serve students with disabilities in a variety of settings within higher education and beyond.

Maziely Crisostomo