IMMIGRATION DAY A HUGE SUCCESS!

Ellis Island,  July 4, 2060 -"This year's Immigration Day has been the best one ever," proclaimed US President Lucia Chiu. As has been the habit ever since 2020, presidents and world leaders gathered at Ellis Island in New York with hundreds of hopeful immigrants to find out which lucky one thousand people from their country would be allowed to become United States citizens.                                                            

The all day lottery, which is shown on every major television channel as well as live-streamed over the internet, seemed the fairest way by the United States congress to select new citizens, who have been pre-screened by their home country. "My parents were winners in the first lottery," President Chui told the joyous crowd. "As a woman of Cuban-Chinese descent, I couldn't be prouder as I read the names of the people who will soon join this great country of ours."

In order to be entered in the Ellis Island Lottery, citizens must be in good standing in their home country, healthy, and high school graduates.  An equal number of men and women are chosen. (Note: Ellis Island Day is for men and women who have no family already in the United States. Family members are allowed to apply separately.)

"This is the happiest day of my life," said Tahitian native Rhetta Aleong via Skype.  "This is the third Ellis Island lottery I've entered. I guess it's true what they say--three's the charm!"  Ms. Aleong is a dancer who dreams of someday performing at Lincoln Center.

Obviously, not all hopeful immigrants obtained the precious golden ticket needed to obtain citizenship. "This is my fourth lottery. And for the fourth time my name hasn't been called, " said Moscow native Nickolai Agapov. "But I am not discouraged. The lottery system is the fairest ever in the history of the United States. It makes me happy just knowing an equal amount of people from every country are welcomed every Immigration Day. I will toast my fellow Russian comrades whose names were called today and wish them well in America. I'll be entering again next year."

(PHOTO CAPTION: POTENTIAL IMMIGRANTS GATHER AT ELLIS ISLAND TO HEAR THE NAMES  READ OF THE WINNERS OF THE 2060 IMMIGRATION DAY LOTTERY.)