Figure 10. Retrieved from

-www.ritasimsan.wordpress.com

Before I had begun the research, I wasn't au fait with the multitudinous legislative procedures involved in the cyber security and privacy realm. During the process that I had undergone thinking of how to structure my thesis, I assumed that there were many gaps and differences that could be balanced for both privacy and security to co-exist.

As I went further into my research, my assumptions were on the right track; I was introduced to numerous laws, with the vast majority at the senate awaiting for approval, while others are soon to be expired or have expired. As I began to read through some of these bills, I realized that some of the current proposed amendments that had been suggested for consideration as new privacy or security regulations were either too intrusive or too risky from either side of the spectrum, the liberal view vs. the conservative one; some were too intrusive for those in support of privacy, while others were too risky for those on the side of national security.

Personally, I don’t think the country has enough time to wait for these bills to be signed into law in order to defend both the public’s civil liberties and privacy, and the country’s national security. I don’t think we’re even moving fast enough, and I share the same view as other individuals who think that intelligence agencies, corporations and the public are not finding a common ground that could protect these civil liberties and this country.

On the other hand, the Internet is moving at such fast speed, it would be almost impossible for any of these entities to catch up with it if they are still debating the same issue over privacy and national security. Thus, if neither one of these sides join forces, these differences will keep putting both national security and privacy at an elevating risk.