Introduction/overview: I currently have not started at my clinical site. My projected start date will be Monday September 17th, 2018. However, during these past two weeks, I have made great strides in gathering data and resources for my projected clinical project and have begun to gather a better understanding of what my project is. The coordinator at the clinical site as well the professor have been wonderful resources in helping me develop ideas about what this project should focus on.

Challenges: My projected start date for the clinical site was this past Thursday. Unfortunately, my job forgot to create my schedule reflecting my clinical schedule and there was no coverage on the unit. It was a bit disappointing, but I used that time to begin researching my clinical assignment. 

Utilization of coaching and/or mentoring: The clinical coordinator at the facility, Trumps United, had suggested to both Napiela (my clinical partner) and I about developing a diabetes support group. A large majority of patients at the facility are diabetics who are managing their disease quite well. Also, diabetes disproportionately affects the elderly population. “Approximately 25% of Americans over the age of 60 years have diabetes, and aging of the U.S. population is widely acknowledged as one of the drivers of the diabetes epidemic” (American Diabetes Association, 2018). 

However, I had the opportunity to speak with the professor this week about what the capstone project should entail. She emphasized the importance of diversifying the clinical project and examining different portions of how diabetes affects the elderly.

Capstone Project Plan Progress: My project is progressing according to schedule. I have been focusing on research about diabetes and depression. Some interesting facts that I discovered were that “Depression is not only common in patients with diabetes but also contributes to poor adherence to medication and dietary regimens, poor glycemic control, reduced quality of life, and increased health care expenditures” (Bogner et al., 2007, p. 3006). Further, “Depression has been specifically linked to prognostic variables in diabetes such as micro- and macrovascular complications” (Bogner et al., 2007, p. 3006). Therefore, I realized that I could conduct depression screenings amongst elderly diabetics and utilize support groups as a means to provide strategies to combat depression. 

Leadership lessons learned: During these past two weeks, I also learned many concepts and theories related to leadership. I personally discovered that I prefer to adopt a transformational leadership style. Thomas, Rossuel & Harris (2016) highlights the benefits of implementing transformational leadership. “Transformational leaders commit people to action, convert followers into leaders, and convert leaders into agents of change” (Thomas, Rossuel & Harris, 2016, p. 210). Nurse leaders work on behalf of and with their team, enabling and shared sense of responsibility and trust for the progress of the organization.

Outcomes achieved: All in all, during this week, I have narrowed down a focus for my clinical project and developed an understanding of what my project should entail. I hope that going to the clinical site will help me to narrow down the work I have to do in order to complete my project effectively.

Track clinical hours weekly / running total: 2 weekly/ 2 total

References

American Diabetes Association. (2018). Older Adults. Retrieved from

http://www.diabetes.org/in-my-community/awareness-programs/older-adults/

Bogner, H., Morales, K., Post, E., Bruce, M., Bogner, H. R., Morales, K. H., & ... Bruce, M.    

L. (2007). Diabetes, depression, and death: a randomized controlled trial of a

depression treatment program for older adults based in primary care

(PROSPECT). Diabetes Care30(12), 3005-3010

Roussel, L., Thomas, P. L., & Harris, J. L. (2016). Management and leadership for nurse

administrators (7th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.