Hello,

My name is Japrice Blackwell. I am from Westchester County where I have resided all my life. I come from a single parent home where I live with my mom and older brother. On my dad's side I have 10 siblings, 11 including me. What a big family, right? Although it seems as if I grew up in a big happy family, the reality of it all is that I did not. I have grown up separate from my dad's side of the family and it has only made me a stronger individual.

My interests and hobbies are about the same. I love spending time with my family, especially my nephews, and writing poetry to express my thoughts and possibly what another young girl is feeling. Poetry is a way for me to touch another young girl's heart and help them with what they are going through. I believe that what makes me special is my ability to adapt and use everything in life as a lesson and an example of how I want to better my life. The biggest experience I have turned into a positive is the murder of my brother, Kenyatta. It happened when I was only 13 and I use that to motivate me through everything I do.

My major is HIM and I chose this major to get a better understanding of billing, coding, health insurance, and to have a happy career. I decided I wanted to become more knowledgeable when my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. Although, she won the fight and is still living, she now has an abundance of debt due to doctors’ bills. I will do everything in my power to help her live life comfortably.