(Image via www.mamasimagination)

It all started with an unexpected email to a fellow classmate and friend, Angie Fuoco, and me from Dr. Pollich, Assistant Director of the Disability Studies Program, that read “Hello Angelina and Angie, I am wondering if either of you will be in the NY area on March 8 – (or would be able to be in NY if the circumstances were such that you wanted to make a trip)? Let me know, and I’ll give you further details.”

Being that New York City is unfortunately more than a hop, jump and skip from Nebraska, I had to inquire further because in order to be there on that date would take a lot of juggling on my part to make sure the classes I transcribe could be covered by another transcriptionist and then there would need to be flight and hotel reservations made, taking time off from work, and just arranging life in order to get away for a few days, yet I am always up for an adventure!

When Dr. Pollich informed us she had recommended Angie and me as 2 of the 3 students who best represent the Disability Studies program to be invited to the Dean’s dinner, I knew this was an opportunity I did not want to pass up.  The idea behind the Dean’s dinner, held once a semester, is to give both John Mogulescu (the Dean of CUNY School of Professional Studies) and students the opportunity to meet and mingle in an informal dinner environment.   

Angie and I made plans to be there, which was actually the first opportunity we would have to meet face-to-face. We had been classmates several times and had corresponded with one another not only about issues pertaining to our courses but other topics as well. We met for the first time when Angie finally made it to NYC (another long story). What a great adventure! I went to my first Broadway play – Beautiful. Angie and I walked down the High Line Railway that is the setting for the picture on DSAB 628, Disability in Education, under my Academic Work section.  We got to enjoy a great night of food and laughs with another fellow classmate, Deborah Rivel.

Angie and I were approached by Anthony Sweeney, the Virtual Campus Coordinator at CUNY, about doing a video to help promote the program. Another opportunity we could not pass up. We enjoyed a wonderful morning at CUNY School of Professional Studies where they taped the videos.  We got to meet and visit with Dr. Bates, the Academic Director of the Disability Studies Program, and Dr. Pollich and many other amazing CUNY people, many of whom we had talked to before, but it was great to put faces with names.

The Dean’s Dinner was a beautiful event held in the Empire State Building. We were treated to a wonderful meal. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and visiting with Dean Mogulescu and other CUNY employees and students. I was truly blessed, humbled and honored to have received this invitation that resulted in an adventure with lasting memories, connections and friendships.  On the left are the videos produced at CUNY and some photographs of Angie and Angelina’s most awesome adventure.