My name is Ana Sierra.  I am currently enrolled at the City University of New York School of Professional Studies and will graduate in June 2013 with a BA in Sociology.  The experiences and knowledge I acquired through the sociology program have provided an increased awareness of social problems and an excellent foundation in understanding social phenomena, quantitative and qualitative social research methods, and sociological theory in the social sciences; all which have served as an outstanding preparation for entry into a master's program.

I received an AAS in Business Administration/Management at Queensborough Community College almost fifteen years ago.  I had always wanted to return to the world of academia and complete my bachelor’s in business but as a transient family, the responsibilities to my family took precedence, preventing me from realizing this dream.  The opportunity came after a tragic event in my life in September 2010; I was in a serious automobile accident where I sustained many injuries.  This event caused me to reevaluate many aspects of my life including what my higher purpose for being in this world was.  I knew I had to somehow seize the opportunity while I recuperated from surgeries; I had to start on a new path that would put me on track to a more purposeful life. My inspiration came from the need to transform this negative experience into a positive one, thus my journey began with enrolling at CUNY-SPS. 

My ultimate professional goal is to establish a successful career working as a social worker within a hospital environment.  I look forward to enhancing my career opportunities by being admitted into a dual graduate program in social work and public health so that I may obtain a master’s in social work (MSW) as well as a master’s in public health (PSW).  I have been extensively researching for online master’s programs that offer this option as attaining this opportunity will provide me with the knowledge and tools needed to develop my future goals. The drive and determination I hold within me are qualities that I feel are necessary to complete a graduate degree.  This dual program will not only enrich the quality of knowledge I already have acquired but will inform me of important things I have not yet learned which will better aid me in the position that I seek. 

For the last eight years I have worked for the Hunterdon County Prosecutor’s Office in the Victim Witness Unit.  In the position of Bilingual Victim Witness Counselor I assist victims and witnesses of crime, individuals whose lives have been altered as a result of crime victimization, in many capacities.  My position entails working with various types of crimes including domestic violence, adult and child sexual assault, child abuse, homicide, aggravated assault and terroristic threats.  Some of my responsibilities include aiding clients in understanding the legal process, accompanying clients to court proceedings, aiding in finding resources for financial compensation and counseling services, accompanying detectives on investigations, acting as a liaison between clients and prosecutors, and taking part in various committees whose goals are to better assist victims.  Additionally, I have assisted in implementing several community based seminars focused on teaching basic state law to the Latino community in the county as well as visiting local high schools in an effort to raise cultural diversity awareness and/or providing information to students on preventive measures dealing with date rape, drinking and driving, and drug use.

The experiences gained through my employment, specifically those dealing with victims of domestic violence and child sexual abuse raised awareness for me of the special needs required by the individuals that have been victimized as well as the need for finding effective/efficient ways to assist them and their families in their long road to recovery.  My interests are to make a career change in the near future to one that improves the lives of others, specifically to a position which utilizes my attained experience/skills and that will provide me the opportunity to work in an in depth capacity with one or both of these two groups.  I seek to provide direct service to individuals in crisis situations and also provide the required level of psychosocial support that is essential in meeting the needs required by this population and their families.  I also hope to facilitate the utilization of available community resources to assist in regaining an optimal level of functioning. I look forward to the opportunity to make an immediate, positive impact in the life of an individual or family.